Making Dog Food Comparisons? Save Time! Start With Homemade Dog Food Recipes! - Other

Why homemade dog food recipes? When making dog food comparisons, personally, I like the idea of knowing exactly what my dog is eating and that I don't need to rely on the information printed on a can or bag to be sure that my dog is getting the very best nutrition available. I take it a step further by not letting him roam and forage through a neighbor's trash (which I'm sure they appreciate). It wouldn't do to have him finding foods that are known to be toxic for dogs or perhaps something that will trigger an allergic reaction. I also eliminate the necessity of preservatives and questionable additives and their possible negative side effects.

I make my own compost which gives me a place to dispose of the dog poop so he can't eat that. I have water from my own well which I have had tested for content and that I know is fresh and without harmful contaminants. I live on a high spot in my general area and don't need to be concerned with issues from fertilizer runoff into my yard.

I admit that all this wasn't necessarily done specifically for my dog. I just mention them because they can be sources of problems you may need to consider looking at if your pets have health issues that you haven't been able to pinpoint.

With meats sometimes I cook it and sometimes it's raw. It has to be very fresh if I use it raw and it also depends on which meats I use. Pork and chicken is always cooked. Fish is always cooked. Beef and turkey are sometimes raw and sometimes cooked. Game meats are always cooked. I always remove any bones from any meat unless they are too large to swallow and too hard to crush. Otherwise a good bone to chew on is good for him.

For vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower, sometimes I steam and sometimes I chop them up and are raw. It depends on how hard they are to chew. Large carrots I either chop up to make it thinner or cook them to make them softer. Potatoes I cut up to bite size and boil until just becoming soft. I always leave the skins on. Things like string beans I either cut to bite size or boil until flexible. I never use soy products as they tend to be tied to health problems in some dogs.

For treats I just make up several smaller portions of whatever I'm making for a meal and give those to him from time to time, especially when he's been really active.

There are various foods that are toxic to dogs and should be eliminated completely. These items can vary from breed to breed so consult your vet for information about your dog. There are also foods that can cause allergic reactions. Food allergies can sometimes be more discomforting than regular allergies because of digestive problem in addition to the scratching and itching skin irritations. If your dog doesn't respond to the over the counter treatments for dog allergies you should bring your dog to your vet and have them see what they can find out.

I never use seasoning like salt or pepper. If I want flavoring I will use chicken or beef broth. I add just enough broth to moisten and lightly flavor. I will sometimes crush vitamins or other supplements and dissolve them in the broth. Check with your vet before adding these.

Lastly, I always make sure he can drink all the fresh water he wants. Any other fluids like milk or homemade fruit juice is added into his food. Make sure that any fruits you use aren't on his list of toxic foods.

There is conflicting information concerning dogs and whole grains. Some say that a dog's digestive system can't process them properly. In as much as there is no shortage of foods my dog can eat that contain whole grains that have been broken down in the cooking process; I personally won't add raw whole grains into my dog's diet just to be on the safe side.

So, ultimately, the only homemade dog food comparisons I make are whether he gets red or white meats and green or yellow veggies.





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

沒有留言:

張貼留言